When can tenants report problems to the Code enforcement and governmental entities?

Tenants should report any problems that they may have in their rental units to their landlord or property manager and give them a reasonable amount of time to address the issues.

If the landlord does not respond or fails to fix the problems, tenants can then report them to the appropriate code enforcement agency or governmental entity. It’s important to document all communication with the landlord or property manager, including the date and time of the report, any response or actions taken, and any attempts they have made to resolve the issue with their landlord.

It is important to know that tenants have the right to report various types of problems to code enforcement and governmental entities when there are issues with the property that violate local building codes or housing regulations. This can include issues such as:

  • Health and safety hazards, such as mold, lead paint, asbestos, or pest infestations in the building.
  • Electrical or plumbing problems that could cause harm or damage.
  • Structural issues, such as a leaking roof or foundation problems.
  • Non-functioning heating or cooling systems.
  • Unsafe living conditions, such as blocked exits or fire hazards, or broken windows.

You can also report violations related to landlord-tenant laws and regulations.

This includes:

  •  Illegal evictions
  •  Failure to provide basic utilities like heat or hot water
  • Unfair rental practices

Tenants have a right to safe and habitable housing. By reporting problems to code enforcement and governmental entities, they can help ensure that their living conditions are improved and that landlords are held accountable for providing safe and healthy housing.

It is important for tenants to know that they are protected under state law from retaliation by their landlords for reporting problems. If a tenant feels like they have been retaliated against after filing a complaint, they can contact a local tenant advocacy group or seek legal counsel.

At Friedman & Chapman, our experienced team of lawyers have all the experience and knowledge necessary to handle any habitability problems that you may be facing. Contact us today and let us help you!

Share Post